Read a summary of our report on the 2008 General Election, and download the full report at the bottom of this page.
The Minister of Justice presented the report to Parliament on 26 February 2009.
Maintaining public and political confidence
Our aim for the 2008 election was to maintain public and political confidence in our administration of Parliamentary elections.
We focused on:
- improving the training for returning officers and their staff to enable them to deliver high quality services
- improving advance voting services
- identifying and meeting the needs of voters who face particular barriers to voting
- simplifying post-election day processes and procedures
- ensuring our services are responsive to the needs of Māori voters.