The Representation Commission is the independent body that reviews the boundaries and names of electorates.
Public officials and government and opposition appointees make up the Representation Commission. Usually a current or retired judge chairs the Commission.
The members of the Representation Commission for the 2019/20 boundary review are:
- Chair – Judge Craig Thompson
- Surveyor-General – Anselm Haanen
- Deputy Government Statistician – Carol Slappendel
- Chief Electoral Officer – Alicia Wright
- Local Government Commission Chair – Brendan Duffy
- Government representative – Hon Rick Barker
- Opposition representative – Hon Roger Sowry
When considering the Māori electorate boundaries, the Commission also includes:
- Deputy Chief Executive, Regional Partnerships for Te Puni Kōkiri – Di Grennell
- Government Māori representative – Moana Mackey
- Opposition Māori representative – Dan Te Kanawa